Sunday, December 5, 2010

Port Arthur to Thunder Bay: Shopping Then and Now

Over the next few posts, I am going to post a talk I once gave in town to an audience of women. It is a talk on our changing shopping habits, Port Arthur history, Finnish Canadian history, and women. I will post it in parts.
I presented the talk at an evening organized by the Touhu Tildat, the Busy Tildas, who hold various functions at the Hilldale Lutheran Church.

Some of the audience members spoke only English, some were mostly
comfortable with Finnish. So, I mixed the two languages, but the
meaning is clear as you will see.
You don't need to know Finnish as I've given the English terms, too.


Shopping then and now.

Kun
Tiluksen Raija, when Raija Tilus first approached me and
asked me to speak about an issue of interest to women, I thought, hmmm…
mistä ma puhun? What should I talk about? What is a common thread that
draws a lot of women together regardless of age, beliefs, pastimes,
or interests?
What is one thing we all share? Mikä on se yks asia minkä
naiset jakaa?
Well, it didn’t take long for the answer to pop into my mind:
Shopping. Ostoksilla.

No comments: